Notice : Invitation to tender, Architectural Design Services
Contracting Company : Hoults Limited
Project Title : The Engine Rooms, Hoults Yard, Newcastle Upon Tyne,
Date Published: 25th July 2013
Deadline date: Registration of interest to receive information pack – by Wednesday 7th August, 1200 hours midday.
Closing date for receipt of fee tender and submission – Wednesday 14th August, 1200 hours midday.
Architectural Design Consultant Services are sought for the following project; -
The refurbishment and redevelopment of up to approximately 2,773sqm sqm of existing unused space, storage and outdated workspace accommodation in the existing main four storey building of the former Maling Pottery buildings at Hoults Yard. To provide modern customised office workspace for the expanding commercial creative sector in Hoults Yard and Ouseburn. The project will also upgrade infrastructure in the Yard to allow further conversions of space after the completion of this project.
The project is to be part funded by the European Regional Development Fund.
1. Contracting Company
Hoults Yard, Walker Road,
Newcastle upon Tyne,
Tel : 0044 191 265 4282
Contact Point : Lucy Currell
Email : email@example.com
2. Services Contract
Architectural design services are sought for the conversion and upgrade of an existing four storey Victorian pottery building that forms part of a 10 acre site. The building is part unused and part used for storage and existing low grade, out dated workspace and offices, into new workspace units of between 25 and 80 sqm. The space to be converted will extend to approximately 2,773 sqm.
The conversion works to provide a new entrance and vertical access core with stair and lift, upgrade infrastructure and services to allow further conversions of space in the future. A redundant industrial building is to be demolished and new external hard and soft landscaping will redefine the entrance to Hoults Yard and create a new car park arrival area.
Hoults reserve the right to reduce the project size anywhere from 2,773sqm down to 1,300 sqm, essentially by a reduction of the none central core area circulation space.
Additionally this appointment may include compiling an external works landscape design drawing with hard and soft materials specification for the project, bidders are therefore required to submit a fee for this potential additional scope of work which may be included as part of their appointment.
For information, an additional property 167 Walker Road, which is a single storey industrial shed of steel portal frame construction extending to approximately 1,256 sqm, is to be included with the main building contract and a requirement for that contractor to deliver a design and build package. It is not anticipated that the consultant appointed under this procurement will be required to provide any detailed design element in respect of this property. However, Hoults Limited may require the architectural consultant to deliver preliminary outline level of drawings and specification and Bidders are therefore required to submit hourly rates as specified for this potential additional scope of service which may be included as part of their appointment.
Architectural consultancy services are required as part of a design team to take the project from and including stage D design level, obtain planning, building regulations and any other consents, to completed development, to include production of detailed designs and specifications, and PQQ and ITT documents for construction contractors, and to provide pre and post tender advice. The architect to be novated over to the contractor at point of build contract. Hoults Ltd reserves the right to put on hold, vary or end the project at any stage.
A project brief together with the services required, form of appointment, warranties and novation agreements that the consultant will be expected to enter into will be provided on 7th August following registration of interest.
The development to achieve BREEAM very good standard.
4. Conditions of participation
Participants are to be of a technical, professional capacity and competence required to fulfil the contract.
Evidence of the Architectural Consultant’s financial soundness will be required including the past three years turnover and accounts. The organisation must be financially sound and robust.
The Architectural Consultant is to provide a history of the practice, evidence of completion of similar projects, names of staff responsible to execute the services for the project and include the individual’s qualifications, CV and direct experience of similar projects. The consultant is to confirm they will enter into the form of appointment, warranty and novation agreements.
The consultant is also to provide evidence of Quality and Management systems and Health and Safety Policy and any other accreditations.
5. Selection and Award Criteria
Tender submissions will be assessed upon –
- Selection Criteria
The following first stage criteria will be used to score the tenderers (questions 1 & 2 scored out of 200 and question 3 out of 100, with a minimum threshold of 50% ) :-
2. Technical Ability of the company; and
3. Relevant Staff Profile and experience
The following will be assessed as pass / fail
4. Financial Status
5. Professional misconduct/convictions
6. Insurance levels
7. Health and Safety and quality systems
A shortlist of three companies, which passed the above criteria (points 4 – 7 above) and scored the highest in terms of previous experience and ability (points 1 – 3 above) will then be assessed using the following award criteria :
- Award Criteria
- Methodology and approach for the services to be contracted and understanding of the scope (40%)
- Ability to carry out the services within the given timescale (20%)
- Relevance and expertise of individuals / staff that will be involved in the contract (15%)
- Price (25%)
6. Submission requirements
Tenderers are asked to provide 2 hard copies and 1 electronic copy of their proposals, which should be no longer than 15 pages exclusive of appendices and include :
Selection Criteria information/Submission
- Name of company, address, telephone number, company registration number (for information only).
- History and experience of the practice and evidence of completion of similar projects over the last three years and the total contract values involved (scored out of 200).
- Names of individual staff / personnel responsible to execute the services, together with their CV and details of their direct, recent experience of similar projects (scored out of 100).
- Confirmation that the consultant, its directors or partners and any individuals who otherwise control the bidder have not been convicted of a criminal offence or an act of misconduct in the course of business or profession (pass/fail).
- Insurance – confirmation the consultant has minimum levels of insurance – public Liability £5m, Professional Indemnity £5m, Employers Liability £10m (pass/fail)
- Financial – Confirmation of turnover for the last three years and assurance of solvency. A copy of the bidder’s last three years accounts (pass/fail).
- The bidder is also to provide evidence of Quality and Management systems and Health and Safety Policy and any other relevant accreditations) (pass/fail).
Award Criteria Information/Submission
Methodology and Approach –
Bidders must prepare their core bids on the basis that the size of the project will be 2,773sqm but they must also acknowledge that the project may be reduced to 1,300sqm, (should Hoults Limited vary the scale) and where this difference in size and scale would result in any change to their core bids, tenderers must provide details of such variations in both their methodology/approach answers and their price submission.
Bidders are to provide the following information:-
- A demonstrable understanding of the scope of the project and the critical issues within the implementation of this project,
- A methodology for completing the above work and clear identification of what is required from Hoults Ltd and any other parties.
- Provide a project plan outlining how you will undertake the services including defined milestones and timeframes.
- Demonstrate the experience of the staff/personnel proposed, how this experience will be utilised on and of benefit to this project and what the relevant person(s) would be responsible for on this project.
- Demonstrate capacity to complete the work in the given timescales.
- The Bidder must confirm that they will enter into the required form of appointment, warranty and novation agreements (as provided to tenderers as part of this tender process).
- Provide a fixed lump sum fee exclusive of VAT for undertaking the different elements of the services required, this should include a breakdown against the stages as defined in the schedule of services for a project size of 2,773 sqm and a project of 1,300 sqm (except landscape designs – see below)
- A fixed lump sum fee exclusive of VAT for undertaking the possible landscape design works; and
- Provide a schedule of time based rates for relevant grades of personnel, which may be used to value any additional scope or variations (including 167 Walker Road).
Note – the bidder who submits the lowest price across all of the above fee/price items combined will achieve the highest score for price.
Hard copies of the tenders must be marked” Architectural Design Services, to be opened by addressee only ”, and the packaging must not bear any sign or reference which might indicate the identity of the tenderer.
7. Time scales and deadlines
Closing date for expressing an interest and receiving an information pack (project brief, services required, form of appointment, warranties and novation agreement) is 7th August 2013, 1200 hours midday.
Closing date for receipt of fee tender and submission is 14th August 2013, 1200 hours midday.
The indicative headline dates for the project programme are
Appointment of consultant – Friday 23 August 20123
Initial meeting of design team – Monday 26th August 2013.
Design to tender 26 August 2013 – 30 September 2013.
Tender build works contract – October 2013.
Start on site – Feb /March 2014
If you wish to register an interest and require the further information pack please email firstname.lastname@example.org. by Wednesday 7th August 2013, 1200 hours midday