Invitation to tender –
Commercial Business Space / Office Agency Appointment.
Contracting Company: Hoults Limited
Project Title: Maling Exchange, Hoults Yard, Newcastle upon Tyne
Date: 25 April 2014
Deadline date: Closing date for receipt of fee tender and submission – Monday 12TH May 1200 hours midday.
Invitation to Provide Commercial Business Space / Office Agency Services
Agents are invited to provide a proposal and cost bid in respect of providing Commercial Business Space / Office Letting Agency Services in respect of the Maling Exchange project at Hoults Yard.
Hoults Yard is a busy office park that has repositioned from a former industrial site to a media hub with over 90 office clients employing 500 staff. The Maling Exchange project is a renovation of the ‘front block’ to create new offices for small businesses and move-on accommodation for bigger firms. This brings space from warehouse into office for the first time in 75 years.
The project is strategic because it provides a ‘front door’ for the Hoults Yard team to meet and greet all clients more clearly – as well as providing meeting rooms for clients to use.
The new renovation is being carried out by architects of the Toffee Factory, Xsite, and carries on Hoults Yard’s transition to contemporary loft-style offices. There will be over 20 small units for two person ‘freelancer’ businesses, plus some ground floor spaces that will have their own front door and several larger units over 1,000 sqft – totalling a provision of approximately 1,365sqm (14,694 sqft) of lettable accommodation, plus associated serviced office meeting rooms.
Hoults Yard will be also employing the services of a marketing brochure design company and a public relations agency to assist with marketing and promoting the project. The successful commercial property agent will be expected to liaise with these two organisations.
This project is supported by European Regional Development Fund finance as well as Hoults Ltd, a long-standing family business on Tyneside.
In order to market the new capacity at Hoults Yard, we are tendering for the following service:
Commercial Business Space / Office Agency appointment.
Hoults Yard has a high profile in the media due to the brand that has been created in recent years as a media hub and business village, as well as through a number of cultural and creative events that take place in the yard.
The appointed Agent will market the development to obtain suitable tenants for the new office workspace provided within the Maling Exchange.
The Maling Exchange details
The refurbishment and redevelopment of up to approximately 2,773 sqm Gross Internal Area of existing unused space, storage and out dated workspace accommodation in the existing main four storey building of the former Maling Pottery buildings, into converted modern customised office workspace for the expanding commercial / creative sector identified with Hoults Yard and the wider Ouseburn area. The Project will also upgrade infrastructure in the Yard to allow further conversions of space after the completion of this Project.
The building is currently partially unused and partially used for storage and existing low grade, out dated workspace and offices. The conversion works will provide a new entrance and vertical access core with stair and lift, upgrade infrastructure and services to allow further conversions of space in the future. New external hard and soft landscaping will redefine the entrance to Hoults Yard and create a new car park arrival area. The development is to achieve BREEAM very good standard.
The Project includes the demolition of a single storey gas meter housing building at the front of the site, potential retention of a single storey warehouse opposite (former Meyers warehouse) and part demolition of the attached warehouse at the rear upper level.
Additionally the project includes the refurbishment and redevelopment of 167 Walker Road, which is a single storey industrial shed of steel portal frame construction extending to approximately 1,256 sqm, this will provide further workspace offices on the ground floor together with warehouse / manufacturing facility.
The Project has been awarded funding via the European Regional Development Fund and a funding agreement has been entered into by the Company with the Secretary of State. The successful agent will be required to adhere to the requirements at all times as set out by ERDF guidance notes.
1. Contracting Company
Hoults Yard, Walker Road,
Newcastle upon Tyne,
Tel: 0044 191 265 4282
Contact Point: Lucy Currell
For a full pack of pdf plans indicating individual floor plates and the proposed development please email Lucy Currell as above.
2. Conditions of participation
Participants are to be of a technical, professional capacity and competence required to fulfil the contract.
Evidence of the Agent’s financial soundness will be required including the past three years turnover and accounts. The organisation must be financially sound and robust.
The Agent is to provide a history of the practice, evidence of completion of similar projects, names of staff responsible to execute the services for the project and include the individual’s qualifications, CV and direct experience of similar projects.
The Agent is also to provide evidence of Quality and Management systems.
The agency is to provide information against items 1 to 7 as set out under Selection Criteria, and 1 – 4 under Award Criteria, please refer to section 4 Submission Requirements.
3. Selection and Award Criteria
Tender submissions will be assessed upon –
- Selection Criteria
The following first stage criteria will be used to score the tenderers (questions 1 & 2 scored out of 200 and question 3 out of 100, with a minimum threshold of 50%): -
2. Technical Ability of the company; and
- Relevant Staff Profile and experience
The following will be assessed as pass / fail
4. Financial Status
5. Professional misconduct/convictions
6. Insurance levels
7. Quality systems
A shortlist of four companies, which passed the above criteria (points 4 – 7 above) and scored the highest in terms of previous experience and ability (points 1 – 3 above) will then be assessed using the following award criteria:
- Award Criteria
- Methodology and approach for the services to be contracted (15%)
- Relevance and expertise of individuals / staff that will be involved in the contract (15%)
- Price (55%)
- Presentation of submission (day) see item 5 below (15%)
- Submission requirements
Tenderers are asked to provide 2 hard copies and 1 electronic copy of their proposals, which should be no longer than 15 pages exclusive of appendices and include:
Submission – Selection Criteria information
- Name of company, address, telephone number, company registration number (for information only)
- History and experience of the practice and evidence of completion of similar projects over the last three years and the total contract values involved (scored out of 200).
- Names of individual staff / personnel responsible to execute the services, together with their CV and details of their direct, recent experience of similar projects (scored out of 100).
- Confirmation that the consultant, its directors or partners and any individuals who otherwise control the bidder have not been convicted of a criminal offence or an act of misconduct in the course of business or profession (pass/fail).
- Insurance – confirmation the consultant has minimum levels of insurance – public Liability £5m, Professional Indemnity £5m, Employers Liability £10m (pass/fail)
- Financial – Confirmation of turnover for the last three years and assurance of solvency. A copy of the bidder’s last three years accounts (pass/fail).
- The bidder is also to provide evidence of Quality and Management systems and any other relevant accreditations) (pass/fail).
Submission Award Criteria Information
Methodology and Approach –
Bidders are to provide the following information:-
- A demonstrable understanding of the scope of the project and an assessment of the rental level and anticipated incentive for both the main block, Maling Exchange, and also 167 Warehouse for market launch / marketing purposes.
- A methodology for completing the above work and clear identification of what is required from Hoults Limited and any other parties,
- Provide a project plan outlining the services to be provided within the fee including defined milestones and timeframes.
- Demonstrate the experience of the staff/personnel proposed, how this experience will be utilised on and of benefit to this project and what the relevant person(s) would be responsible for on this project.
- Provide a fee exclusive of VAT for undertaking the service for both –
- As Sole Agent. and B. As Joint Agent
A decision on the appointment for sole or joint agency basis will be made following fee bids and presentations.
Fee bid should be based on the net rent per annum excluding the all inclusive elements associated with serviced offices of rates, heating, lighting, power, (these elements represent approximately 40% of the gross rent) ITC and other provided services. (Also the fee should assume that occupancy levels will reach around 85%)
- Provide a schedule of time based rates for relevant grades of personnel which may be used to value any additional scope or variations
Note – the bidder who submits the lowest price across all of the above fee/price items combined will achieve the highest score for price.
Hard copies of the tenders must be marked “Commercial Business Space / Office Agency Appointment”, and the packaging must not bear any sign or reference, which might indicate the identity of the tenderer.
(Note: In respect of fee proposals please note that where a registered interest in the project space is already established no fee will be payable by the contracting company. In the event that an existing tenant within Hoults Yard takes space no fee will be paid. In the event that a new interested party emerges that is dealt with solely by the contracting company a half fee will be paid).
- Time scales and deadlines
Closing date for fee tender and submission is Monday 12th May 2014, 1200 hours midday.
The short listed Agencies will be invited to make a short presentation of their submission Wednesday 14th May 2014 with time to be advised. The presentation to consist of 20 minutes presentation and 20 minutes question and answers.
The indicative headline dates for the project build programme are –
Project Construction Start on site – May 2014
Project Construction Completion – End March 2015
Provide submissions FAO Mr G Hudson (Forster Douglas Property Limited), c/o Hoults Limited, Hoults Yard, Walker Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE6 2HL.